Store things where you can easily get to them…
…and make sure you can access the areas of the school you need to, eg by using the school lift.
Visit the school to make sure you can get around. The Occupational Therapy department in the NSIC will help you.
- Ask for two sets of books for each subject, one to keep at home and one for school. this will save you having to find ways to carry them around
- Can textbooks be accessed via the internet?
- Make sure the desks or tables are at the right height
- Find out where the accessible toilet is and where you can keep a change of clothes in case of accidents
- Store supplies you use often in a place you can easily get to
- Ask how to use the school lifts and check you can operate them
- Every school is required to have an emergency exit plan. Ask your teacher to go over what you should do in an emergency
- Be ready to answer questions about your spinal cord injury
- Find out what you will be doing in PE, Food Technology, Science and Design Technology
- Consider how you are going to take part in swimming lessons. Look at the changing facilities , hoist and transport arrangements