What should you consider?

Financial concerns

What should you consider?

  • If your relative was in employment up until the time they were injured, the first thing you need to do is check their terms and conditions of employment and find out how long they will be paid by the firm and whether they need to apply for Statutory Sick Pay.

  • Some companies may have a welfare scheme to support employees in need of extra financial help. This may be useful later if you need a specific piece of specialist equipment.

  • If you are unable to make regular payments such as your mortgage for example, contact the companies concerned and ask for a ‘holiday’ while you sort matters out. If you explain you are seeking professional advice on your long-term financial situation, they will be sympathetic.

  • Find out if your relative had any critical illness cover or if there is personal injury cover or legal expenses insurance with your household insurance policy.
    Be warned: We do not recommend you use a non-specialist solicitor appointed by your insurance company to deal with an SCI claim. You need a specialist in SCI work.

  • If you have a young family, and there are issues such as school and college fees to pay, you should speak to the establishments concerned, explain the situation with your relative and ask for time to sort things out.

  • People who sustain an SCI at retirement age, will have differing financial issues. These may be around meeting the extra costs of living with an SCI when they are on a limited income. Although some benefits cease at retirement age, there are other benefits specifically available for older people and you or your relative should be entitled to claim these once they are back at home.

  • All the SCI Centres will be able to offer advice on how to obtain grants and funding and will assist in claiming the benefits to which the injured person is entitled. Each grant making trust have their own criteria.  There are two national spinal cord injury grant making charities.

    Aspire Grants gives money to people with spinal cord injury to help them purchase essential equipment to increase independence and improve quality of life.
    Telephone: 020 8420 6707

     Regain funds specialist equipment to improve the independence of all British men and women who have become tetraplegic as a result of a sports or leisure injury.
    Telephone: 01590 677854

     SIA has a factsheet on Grant making Trusts, available for download from